Just wanted to give a quick update of our weekend inspection. A few weeks ago I posted about a queenless hive and a round queen cell. Well, we have a new queen! We didn’t see her, but we did find new eggs and very young brood, positive signs that there is a queen. 🙂 We’ll try to find her and mark her during our next inspection.
Then we had a hive that was not doing so great these past weeks. It happens. The population was dwindling and the queen was not laying, so we had to make a decision. We killed the old queen and combined the weak hive with one of our strong hives. We decided not to requeen because the population was small and could not support a new queen at this time. Soon we’ll split the strong hive, thus creating a new hive and give the bees a chance to produce a new queen.